As one of the main focal points in your kitchen, we’re sure that you’re happy and proud to use your Viking range to whip up those mouth-watering meals.
This means that when your beloved meal-prepping machine fails to work properly, it most often leaves you upset, frustrated, and unsure of how to fix the problem.
Fortunately, here at Phoenix Appliance Pros, we fully understand how inconvenient it can be when your home appliances malfunction.
That’s why we’ve put together the following troubleshooting guide on the 3 most common issues we see with Viking Ranges.
Note that you should never attempt to disassemble, diagnose, or repair any of your Viking range’s components while it is plugged into a live power source. Always disconnect or turn off the power before proceeding with your repairs.
The most common issue we see when we get calls about a range that won’t light is a faulty igniter, which fails to produce a spark.
Every time that you turn on your range, the igniter produces a small spark. In turn, this spark ignites the flow of gas to provide you with an even and consistent flame.
While it can be frustrating, the good news is that replacing a faulty igniter is both inexpensive and relatively simple to do.
If none of your element igniters seem to be producing a spark, you’re most likely dealing with a power source issue. But if your range has power, and only a single igniter seems to be malfunctioning, the issue is most likely that the component has become faulty.
To replace a faulty igniter, you’ll first want to unplug your range from its power source.
Then, you’ll simply need to remove and mounting screws holding the igniter in place, disconnect the wires, and replace the faulty component with a new one.
Sometimes, it’s not the entire igniter that’s to blame, and it’s only the electrodes of the spark module that are no longer working properly.
In this case, it’s possible that they’ve been knocked loose or out of place while somebody was cleaning the appliance.
The good news is that you can sometimes reposition the electrodes by hand, which can sometimes get your igniter working properly again.
Alternately, it’s sometimes the knob assembly that’s causing you grief and preventing the range from working properly.
In this case, you most likely have a broken knob, shaft, or the internal switch can also be damaged.
If you’ve accidentally broken one of your range’s control knobs, you’re in luck because replacement knobs are both inexpensive and very easy to replace.
Most times, you’ll be able to remove the broken knob by simply pulling on it with a bit of gentle force. However, some models may also have a small set screw, which holds the knob securely in place on the shaft.
After removing the broken knob, you’ll simply need to press the new one on and reinstall the screw if necessary.
On the other hand, the internal switch that the knob controls can also sometimes wear out or become faulty.
In this case, however, diagnosing, repairing, or replacing the component is a touch more complicated and should only be attempted if you’re confident in your appliance repair skills.
If not, don’t hesitate to contact a professional repair company today!
Wiring issues are also fairly common with some Viking range models.
But unfortunately, we don’t suggest that you attempt to repair or replace any of your unit’s wiring on your own. Not only does this present a risk of electric shock, but you can also cause damage to your oven’s other components or you might accidentally void any manufacturer warranty you may have.
With that being said, if you have a wiring issue, it will mostly likely cause a short circuit, which will cause your home’s breaker to trip.
For this, you’ll want to locate your home’s main electrical panel, and look for the breaker that’s labelled as “stove”, “oven”, or “range”. However, your home’s panel might not always be labelled properly.
Regardless, you’re going to want to look for any circuit breakers that are in the ‘off’ position.
If you find one, you can try flipping back on, and then rechecking the appliance.
However, if the breaker continues to trip, you can almost be certain that you have a short circuit somewhere in your appliance’s wiring.
For those experiencing performing electrical repairs, it’s possible to proceed with checking and identifying where the short might be.
But for most homeowners, we strongly encourage you to contact a professional appliance repair company for help with this.
Not only can it be dangerous when dealing with electrical components, but you can also accidentally cause irreparable damage to your appliance.
So if you need a hand with a broken Viking range, don’t hesitate to give the experts at Phoenix Appliance Pros a call today!