When it comes to high-performance cooking appliances, there’s almost no better brand than Viking. Not only do Viking appliances offer some of the best-in-class cooking performance, but they’re also brilliantly designed and guaranteed to look stunning in virtually any kitchen.
Aside from its ovens, cooktops, and ranges, Viking microwaves are some of the best quality microwaves on the market. However, that doesn’t mean that they’re invincible.
Below, we’ll be taking a look at 5 of the most common problems we hear about with these trusty appliances.
While you’ll still likely be able to use your microwave to heat your food, if your turntable isn’t working properly, you’ll likely end up with food that’s unevenly cooked.
When this happens, it’s usually because either the turntable driveshaft or the motor itself is broken.
To check this, first, start by removing the glass turntable from your microwave. There should be a small gear-shaped object in the middle of the microwave, designed to seat and rotate the glass turntable.
Inspect this component for any signs of damage.
You can also try turning the gear manually to see if it works or not. Suppose you can spin the gear freely, great. But if you can feel any resistance or grinding while rotating it, either the motor or a bearing has likely become faulty.
If the door latch on your microwave isn’t working properly, you might either have trouble closing or opening the door, or you might not be able to turn the microwave on to heat up your food.
Keep in mind that it’s never safe to operate a microwave with the door open.
Therefore, the door latch is an important component because it tells the control panel when the door is closed, which means it’s safe to operate.
If you’re having trouble with your unit’s door latch, start by inspecting it for any signs of damage.
Sometimes, there may be dirty or corrosion that’s impeding the latch from working properly, but other times, the latch may have been broken due to regular wear and tear.
If you can see any signs of damage, you’ll need to replace the door latch.
For help either diagnosing or repairing your broken microwave, don’t hesitate to contact Phoenix Appliance Pros today.
When the controls on your microwave are no longer responding to your touch, it’s sometimes because the touchpad buttons themselves have become faulty. In this case, it’s sometimes possible to replace the touchpad.
However, it’s also possible that your controls aren’t working properly because your unit’s control panel has become faulty.
Unfortunately, diagnosing or repairing a faulty control panel is easier said than done. Therefore, if you intend on repairing your microwave, it’s likely best to ask for help from a professional appliance technician.
If your microwave doesn’t start whatsoever, you’re likely dealing with either a power source issue or an issue with the unit’s control panel.
If there’s no power whatsoever on the control panel, the first thing to check is that the microwave is properly and securely plugged into an outlet. Secondly, you’re going to want to make sure that the outlet it’s plugged into has power.
For this, you may need to check your home’s main electrical panel to make sure that the fuse or breaker has not been tripped. If it has, you’ll either need to replace the fuse or reset the breaker.
Then, plug the appliance back in and recheck it.
Alternately, you might be experiencing an issue with the unit’s control panel. In some cases, it may be possible to repair the control panel, but it will need to be replaced most often.
If your microwave has power and seems to function, except it’s no longer producing heat and cooking your food, you’re likely dealing with a faulty magnetron.
The magnetron is the component responsible for turning the electric current into the microwave radiation that actually heats the inside of the microwave. If this part has been damaged, your microwave likely won’t produce any heat.
With that being said, to diagnose your microwave’s magnetron, you’ll need to disassemble its exterior casing. And as we’ve mentioned before, this can be dangerous, especially for those who aren’t familiar with repairing microwaves.
This component and the diode and capacitor can all store large amounts of electricity even when the appliance is no longer plugged in. Therefore, we strongly advise that you not attempt to repair these parts on your own.